BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: Yamaha YR1/YR2/R3 Powerdynamo Reference  (Read 249 times)

Offline boredinballard

Yamaha YR1/YR2/R3 Powerdynamo Reference
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:48:25 PM »
This thread is a quick reference for Powerdynamo installs on the 1967-69 Yamaha YR1/YR2/R3 350 2 strokes.

I will update with more details as I compile it.

Here are some quick pictures of my relay wiring under the seat of my 1969 R3.

https://imgur.com/a/ZW1ZS

Offline Evans Ward

• 2-Stroke Tuner
Re: Yamaha YR1/YR2/R3 Powerdynamo Reference
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »
Looking at my powerdynamo wiring to see if I may have made a mistake somewhere. Pictures posted here are reference shots by boredinballard with his install excluding second photo. In looking at the regulator/ rectifier male harness connector, I have numbered the reference wire #s as powerdynamo company does. I also have Drew's wiring kit so you'll see I made notes of my wire colors where they differ. #6 red wire on regulator/ rectifier concerns me as I connected it into the 2 reds that come together from existing wiring harness to red wire in old regulator (pictured also). Do the other wires and connections look correct?

The last photo is the relay wiring. I've also referenced the relay pin numbers and where I have connected the wires that go from it. Pin #85 concerns me the most- I have it going into the new connection at the 12+ brown wire at old coil but the instructions state it should go to "existing electrical system" Where should the wire from pin 85 go? "Existing electrical system" is very vague. Since the brown wire powered the old coils, is that OK? I hear relay clicking on when key in ignition is turned on.

System on bike blew the inline 20a fuse from battery and since I didn't have additional fuses on hand, had to stop for the day. I also purchased/ ordered another correct powerdynamo regulator/ rectifier unit in case I've shorted or blown mine.

I appreciate any help members here can supply in looking over what I've done with any mistakes and needed corrections. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:56:32 PM by Evans Ward »
1984 Yamaha RZ350 (yellow/ black), Spec IIs, rearsets, fk brace
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Triple (blue), TNT pipes
1967 Yamaha YR1 350 (red) stock original- current project
1976 Suzuki GT750 (blue) stock original
1982 Honda MB5 (black) stock original

Offline Evans Ward

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
Getting a draw/ drain from pins 5 and 6 from wiring going from new regulator. Pulling either connection stops drain. Not sure how I proceed?

@boredinballard- can you tell me where you connected pins 5 and 6 from new regulator to?
1984 Yamaha RZ350 (yellow/ black), Spec IIs, rearsets, fk brace
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Triple (blue), TNT pipes
1967 Yamaha YR1 350 (red) stock original- current project
1976 Suzuki GT750 (blue) stock original
1982 Honda MB5 (black) stock original

Offline boredinballard

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »
Got your message @Evans Ward!

I've been busy lately but I'll try to take a look today or tomorrow at the wiring situation.

I'm no longer full time employed so I have a looooooooot more free time, I hope I can get started on the wiring reference today, I'll see what I can do!

Offline mcboomport

• I am constructing an amazing post history
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:16 PM »
Subscribed. Going this route on my yr2