BOTM

* Sponsors

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Chatter / Throttle cable NO pump and high top carbs
« Last post by dalvipravin81 on Today at 03:43:07 AM »
Hi all , going through HVC site for jets and found this cable ,

https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-performance-throttle-cable-for-yamaha-rd-250-350-400-no-oil-pump/

This is good for premix as it has only 2 cables but am not sure if this will fit on the high top carbs or fall short ...

Anybody has tried this cable ?

Pravin
Haus of Projects / Re: 76' RD400 Geneva Green: Rescue Mission
« Last post by SUPERTUNE1 on Yesterday at 09:40:59 PM »
Love this bike...great job! Can't wait for you to get back running so you can RIDE IT! ;)
Chuck
Turning Wrenches / Re: Splitting cases - things to do while I'm in there?
« Last post by SUPERTUNE1 on Yesterday at 09:34:06 PM »
That bearing is shot!
Don't worry about pressing them on...
Here's the trick, use a short piece of pipe about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and stand the crank up on one end.
So after bearings are removed with the bearing splitter tool, wipe the journal surface with thinner on a paper towel so it's clean.
Look at the new bearing to make sure the direction it goes back on. set it down on a metal or stone plate.
Get some welding gloves and a heat gun, with heatgun on high, heat the new bearing for 2 1/2 mins, no more, now quickly grab the bearing and just drop it on the crankshaft end and let cool for five mins before doing the other end the same!
Easy.
Chuck

Turning Wrenches / Re: rd350 lacking power after build
« Last post by SUPERTUNE1 on Yesterday at 09:01:22 PM »
Chuck knows what he speaks. :thumbsup:

I spent many months of my life fiddling with my setup, mostly stock and could never get it right, close many times, but not right.

Almost ready to throw in the towel I contacted Chuck as a last resort... Sent him my carbs, did a few of his suggested mods to the machine, it started on the 2nd kick and settled into a steady idle, and goes like stink again, finally. All that from 1500 miles away.
Thanks Whit!
Every jobs makes me have to think... getting harder now as as older fellow that forgets to write down stuff!!
So to all you young wippersnappers take down written notes....
Mike did contact me and we're trying to work it out, I did determine he has small body snowmobile Mikunis carbs, so here we go again!!! :)  :dance:

Chuck
General Chatter / Re: Typical parts suppliers excuses
« Last post by Clint Eastwood on Yesterday at 06:35:39 PM »
And yet you keep buying from them?
It's the only place I found that distributes parts for 2011> models.

My bike's an 07 model.

2011> rear wheel bearings were upgraded to larger diameters for safety's sake.

2013> larger rear brake disc for safety's sake.

The swing arm, and 80% of everything connected to it had to be swapped to accommodate those updated designs.

Turning Wrenches / Re: My landspeed RD400 project. Lots of pics.
« Last post by m in sc on Yesterday at 06:35:37 PM »
what a cool shot. glad you're sticking with this  :thumbsup:
Turning Wrenches / Re: 1972 cs5 issues, HELP!
« Last post by enginear on Yesterday at 05:00:10 PM »
Assuming no air leaks, good idle fuel mix, and working timing advance unit you should be able to set the idle speed the following way.

First check that at just below 2000 RPM (1800 to 2000) the ignition advance unit weights should start to retract.  The idle will drop quickly.  At idle (1200 RPM) the weights are fully retracted.

You can watch the weights retract with a timing light.

Setting Idle Speed
Make sure handlebars are pointed straight ahead.
After warming up, I set the idle by connecting one plug wire to a dummy grounded plug (to prevent damaging coil) and set the working side to about 1000 rpm (just above stalling), by adjusting the idle speed screw (NOT air screw).  Then repeat for other side.
With both plugs firing, idle should be around 1200.

When done, make sure with throttle closed there is about 1mm carb cable free play (at each carb) and about 1mm free play at the throttle cable.

In our RD200 (with reed valves), as soon as we raise the throttle (even a little bit) it will quickly jump to around 2000 RPM because the ignition advance kicks in.
eBay/Craigslist watch / Re: RZ Solo Tail
« Last post by kdsmf on Yesterday at 04:04:41 PM »
He has a yellow RZ tank for sale as well. Anyone have experience with this guy? Wondering if I can trust the tank. I need one.
Did you buy it?
General Chatter / Re: Typical parts suppliers excuses
« Last post by Redbird on Yesterday at 03:30:21 PM »
I frequently purchase Aprilia parts from a company...
They always fail...
And yet you keep buying from them?
Turning Wrenches / Re: Splitting cases - things to do while I'm in there?
« Last post by jspooner on Yesterday at 02:56:07 PM »
Outer bearings are shot. Yes that tool will work. They need to be pressed on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10