BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: Honda CB750  (Read 8495 times)

Offline jinglebuddy

• 2-Stroke Tuner
Re: Honda CB750
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
No picture update yet, but steadily working on the thing.  Slow going.  The rear frame is cut, accumulating other parts.  The swing arm bushing clearance has been determined, it looks like it'll fit fine, but I may have a problem with the chain clearance, go figure.

While working on this, it crossed my mind, why do I bother?  Why don't I just buy a VFR instead.  Is it worth doing it?  A good thing, I'm way far into it already to stop now.  Yet again, I have no idea what I'm doing.  Hell, I'd consider that fun.

Offline jinglebuddy

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »
Just in case anybody is curious, the steering stems of CB750k and early 90s VFR are practically interchangeable.  I ground the weld off of both, pressed them out, and put the CB stem on VFR lower triple and welded it back on, now the VFR front end fits right in.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  I'll post the progress pics soon.

Offline 06CCDMAX

• Johnny 2-Stroke
  • 2-Stroke Tuner
  • Drive a Prius, I need more gas!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »
Yes.... Progress pics are a GOOD thing.  Sounds like a cool project, and it'll be unique for sure.  I'm guessing that's why you bother.   :cheers:
2012 KTM 300XC  Plated Dirtbike
1974 RD250  Traded a XS400 WIP
1975 RD350 Major Project.
1984 RZ350  She screams again.
1973 G3ss  Project Dragon. WIP
Several 70's Attex 6-wheelers with JLO and Fugi/Xenoah power.
Couple LawnBoy and Toro/Suzuki Mowers
"I run on Caffeine and Klotz.  Beer is a bonus."

Offline jinglebuddy

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 07:30:42 AM »
Update:
As I mentioned, Honda's steering stems seem to be almost completely interchangeable (yes, you still have to remove the stem from one and graft it to the other, but the diameter is the same, bolt threads are the same, and the length is almost the as well).  My slight issue right now is that the holes for the tube forks are incredibly tight, but I will worry about that later.

Eh, I really didn't want to do this, but the fuel tank that came with the bike is totally lame, and one that I wanted to use had a hidden damage beyond repair...so might as well, I decided to make a custom tank/seat again.  This time, I'm doing it out of 20g steel with 18g steel reinforcement here and there.  I'm learning to work with dolly. 
Tank bottom, still needs some work, it's done enough for a time being.

And started working on the top part.  Needs a lot of work, obviously.

Offline jinglebuddy

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »
Well, hi, I'm back, I haven't been here in a while.  I haven't ridden my RD much since I got my 899 (which I love even though it's pissing oil).  And working on multiple projects, mostly around the house.  Anyhow, my (friend's) CB project is slowly but steadily progressing, though my friend definitely is getting older and tired, I gotta hurry up.  Here's the current situation.

It turned out to be quite a bit more work than I initially thought.  The way the swingarm/rear shock is linked, I had to lower the swingarm pivot point like an inch, then test a couple of different dog bones to determine the shock's upper mount location, etc.  Then there was the rear subframe which went through three different design just because I was indecisive, but once I let go of some of that, that bit went pretty fast.  I'm working now on the rearsets and the seat, and after that, I think I'm off to do the mechanical and electrical bits, finally.
(Don't know why images show up so huge...)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:33:51 PM by jinglebuddy »

Offline onlycrimson

• Underwater Basket Weaver
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
Wow that tank and seat are incredible, amazing work

Offline phparray

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
I know this is a year old how did this turn out?  I'm about to attempt the same thing but I'm not the fabricator you are my no means.  Think you can send a few more pics of how you did the sub-frame and mounted the swingarm?

Offline jinglebuddy

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »
I know this is a year old how did this turn out?  I'm about to attempt the same thing but I'm not the fabricator you are my no means.  Think you can send a few more pics of how you did the sub-frame and mounted the swingarm?
Actually, the pics are current, I'm very slow, it's work in progress still.  I'm currently making a seat pan - the first time tackling fiberglass.  I'll post more pictures later on.

Offline jinglebuddy

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »
Wow that tank and seat are incredible, amazing work

Thank you, that's awfully nice of you to say that!

Offline charlie h.

• Underwater Basket Weaver
  • RD350, VTR250 race bikes, RE500 Bullet therapy
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »
Hey! Very nice sheet metal work, those welds look very good, no metal warping or shrinkage that I see! Good job on the grafting of the swing arm also. Will the chain have any issues? It looks like it will run outside the frame on the left side, but maybe that's just an 'optical' illusion lol. If so, do you have plans for a guard of some kind, as the footpeg and shifter are over there somewhere.  Should run good, and handle well when you are done!!
Charlie
All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Offline jinglebuddy

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »
Hey! Very nice sheet metal work, those welds look very good, no metal warping or shrinkage that I see! Good job on the grafting of the swing arm also. Will the chain have any issues? It looks like it will run outside the frame on the left side, but maybe that's just an 'optical' illusion lol. If so, do you have plans for a guard of some kind, as the footpeg and shifter are over there somewhere.  Should run good, and handle well when you are done!!
Charlie

Thanks!

The chain will run properly, within the frame, it just looks a little weird in the picture.  It will run quite close to the frame though, and I need to have a front sprocket machined for me.  I mocked it up with 3D printed plastic sprocket to test the alignment, so it should be fine, but I still need to do the final test on that.