BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: RD400--Slow Go  (Read 696 times)

Offline hayduke

• No cake for me
Re: RD400--Slow Go
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 07:36:54 AM »
You can raise the front end, without the wheel, loosen the pinch clamps on the forks and rotate them in place, or use a plate of glass, or thick-ish lexan across both tubes. The manual had the steps to follow when messing with the forks/triples.

Offline whiprsnapr

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
Well, seems the forks are straight. I rotated them after loosening the pinch clamps and they rotate freely. Good news for sure. Stripped it down a bit more . . . Now I guess Iím going to focus on the chassis. This is where my last project got too complicated and I never finished. Now I feel I have more skills to actually accomplish the build, but need a good old smack on the head to not go to deep. So Iíd like to do the front forks/brake first, then the swinger and rear brake.  After focus on the engine. I feel keeping focus on simplicity, beings Iím not racing, or doing anything but a fun project to tool around on, is most important.

Like the build titles goes, this is a fun slow go.

Couldnít post normal iPhone photos tonight, so no pics. Seemed to work before after resizing . . . Realizing I spend way more time on this forum trying to post pics than itís worth.

Offline teazer

• 2-Stroke Tuner
  • Messing with two strokes since 1965
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »
Why did you suspect the forks were bent.  What are you seeing and what have you checked?

Offline whiprsnapr

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 03:56:22 AM »
The bars were off when I started tear down. It seems there is a lot of bolts that are just snugged up but not tight, enough to be grateful Iím doing a tear down.  There was little effort getting the clamp bolts lossened up, so I suspect as stated before, it was just in need of adjustment from the previous owner.

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
Glad it wasn't bent, you definitely want to save those pipes if possible.