BOTM

* Sponsors

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Turning Wrenches / Airbox Vacuum Sealant and Foam Filter Oil
« Last post by Clint Eastwood on Yesterday at 10:51:20 PM »
Airbox Vacuum Sealant

RTV silicone is fuel/oil soluble and not suitable for vacuum sealing, it dissolves and gets sucked into engines. The correct sealant type is Weatherstrip adhesive.

Foam Filter Oil

Before filter-specific stuff appeared on the snake oil market' 30W engine oil was used. This non-tacky stuff ran down foam elements, leaving a small oil pool in airboxes. Chainsaw bar oil is tacky and very cheap to get hold of. This also serves more purposes: lubricating your bike's chain w/o flinging off too easily, lubricating frozen garage door and ignition key locks in colder months etc.

Turning Wrenches / Re: Plugs : Which side is good
« Last post by teazer on Yesterday at 10:37:59 PM »
25 miles of running with full throttle some times doesn't tell you much of anything about anything.  Plugs really tell us about heat inside the motor.  At lower load, the temperature is lower and plugs look rich.  The ONLY time that you can read a plug as it relates to mixture is flat out for long enough to get it up to temperature.

Under those circumstances it is possible first to read the ground strap and center electrode to see if the timing is too advanced and causing it to run too hot.  Then we look down into the plug at the white part that should have some color around the bottom where it meets the steel shell.

Let's say we look at the plugs after a moderately warm run and decide that they look "rich" so we jet down a size or two until they look whatever color we think they should look.  Next time we do a hard run and the plug gets hotter than on our plug reading runs, we risk it melting down because now the plug is really hot and we tried to read it when it wasn't.

Next thing to think about is how do we know if jetting is actually best?  the answer is to run it on a dyno or at a drag strip and check/replace the plugs after each run and note the color when it makes most power. In all probability, it will look slightly rich because engines make most power at a richer than stoichiometric 14.7:1

If the plugs were white at moderate throttle we can deduce that it's probably too lean and if they are soaking wet or covered in an oily looking black goop, they are probably too rich, but beyond those gross generalities, that won't tell us much of anything.

Try that same motor on race gas with lots of lead in it and check out the color - vastly different even if it has the same stoich ratio.

On top of that, unleaded reads blacker than leaded gas all other variables being the same and some motors benefit from a hotter plug for unleaded gas. 
General Chatter / Re: Value of a 1986 Japanese plated TZR250?
« Last post by m in sc on Yesterday at 10:09:00 PM »
prob in the 3500-4k range if its all there.
« Last post by Clint Eastwood on Yesterday at 10:01:14 PM »
but only if you are experienced enough to know and feel the difference. In my opinion plug color is the best way for someone with no or little experience to get their jetting close or even spot on. Once you can do that, the seat of the pants feel will come with experience. I would not suggest to an inexperienced person to tune by feel and sound.
Usually how this expensive, dream crushing, self-inflicted buggery happens..

Cats are gifted with whiskers for feeling around in the dark, blind humans use white canes for the same sort of reason.
Turning Wrenches / Re: How Time Fly's
« Last post by hw9rd350b on Yesterday at 09:20:03 PM »
Looks Good- If it runs as good as it looks you'll have fun. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sears point was my old track [90's] before the kinks were added..
 Have Fun
JT
Race Discussions / Re: 2017 MOTOGP- COTA
« Last post by hw9rd350b on Yesterday at 09:11:55 PM »
My pleasure Joe.  :hfive:

JT
Turning Wrenches / Re: Back Tire locking up at speed
« Last post by SUPERTUNE1 on Yesterday at 09:06:55 PM »
Chuck could you pm me on the cost to do all that
PM me your email...
Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
« Last post by jspooner on Yesterday at 08:50:30 PM »
I never read spark plug color, one oil will burn cleaner than another. One oil will paint the plug and piston crown darker than another. Premixed fuel will paint everything darker than an oil injection pump, black carbon deposits will be greater etc. Seat-of-the-pants jetting is the real dependable method' evidence to back that statement..

07 Aprilia SX / RX 80 run flat out in 6th @10,250 rpm for long periods on a daily basis.

Jetting should be started off rich so the engine 4 strokes @WOT under load, then leaned out until it stops slowing down when rolling from 1/2 - WOT. Pilot jet rich as possible, with needle clip position so rich the engine 4 strokes under very little load (around 1/8 - 1/4 throttle), like so.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZnRhJocqCQ

I agree that "seat of the pants feel" is a good way to tune, but only if you are experienced enough to know and feel the difference. In my opinion plug color is the best way for someone with no or little experience to get their jetting close or even spot on. Once you can do that, the seat of the pants feel will come with experience. I would not suggest to an inexperienced person to tune by feel and sound.
Race Discussions / Re: 2017 MOTOGP- COTA
« Last post by jspooner on Yesterday at 08:42:54 PM »
Yes it was a great time, at the races and afterwards at Johns place. Thanks for the good time John and for the opertunity to meet some great people.
Turning Wrenches / Re: Daytona crank
« Last post by hw9rd350b on Yesterday at 08:31:09 PM »
I have seen a few 2V0 cranks that broke- All race motors.

I don't think the cranks are bad for stock or a piped bike. If you are going for HP- change out to earlier model cranks.

:twocents:

JT
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10