BOTM

* Sponsors

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Turning Wrenches / Re: 1974 Honda MT125 Loses power immediately
« Last post by oldjohnno on Today at 09:02:34 PM »
It starts on first kick every time.  the first 10 seconds it has a ton of power and I can get the rpms up to 6000 or so.  After 10 seconds, I have to hold the throttle open to keep it running at all, the longer it goes, the weaker it becomes.  I have sprayed with start fluid to look for air leaks, found none, but replaced the intake O-ring anyway. Cleaned the carb, the fuel filters, etc.  I can see the gas flowing into the carb so I don't think it's a fuel issue...

I came across something very similar recently - it would fire up first kick and run OK for maybe 20 seconds before it would load up and die. If you let it sit for a few minutes it would do the same thing all over. Turned out to be running very rich because of an internal carb leak; the engine would run fine when it was cold but as soon as it built up a little heat it would load up. A quick test to see if you have a similar condition would be to turn the fuel off before starting it to see if the engine runs well just before it runs out of fuel. If it does check that your choke plunger is seating fully and that the rubber seal on the bottom of it is OK. If that's OK check that the pilot jet is still in place and that the air bleeds are all clear.
General Chatter / Re: AirTech RD /TZ Fender
« Last post by kdsmf on Today at 05:22:25 PM »
Does Airtech even have their sales anymore, used to have 40 45% off pretty much any holiday haven't seen one in a while.
« Last post by KLaird on Today at 05:01:00 PM »
I think it sounds like a fuel problem, when it starts to die try squirting some starting fluid in the carb and see if it picks up rpm.   If it does then I would check fuel from the gas tank by pulling the fuel line off and let then gas it run into a contain to see the flow.  If you have gas flowing then clean the carb by soaking it in carb cleaner and then use compressed air to blow out all of the passages.  Also check the needle and seat to make sure it isn't sticking.  If it doesn't pick up rpm with the starting fluid then I would chase electrical issues  capacitor, coil etc.
Show off / Re: my beast RD400C
« Last post by dvsrd on Today at 03:42:56 PM »
Yeah thats understandable!
But damn They should make a more stocky, aggressive looking set of pipes!! The quality looks awsome, They just need to look more aggressive
"They just need to look more aggressive" ?
You may be influenced by the last few year's  cafe/brat/bobber/tracker building trend, so you think short pipes look cooler. When in fact many "short & aggressive" exhaust systems are killing the performance of both 4 and 2 stroke bikes, despite being excessively loud......Look at bikes built by Richard Pollock, Jeff Palhyegi, Walt Siegl and Roland Sands. These master builders build bikes that are functional, while aesthetically superior to any "rad" build. In my world, "functional" and "restrained" is higher praise than "aggressive".  Well, that's my opinion anyway :)
Turning Wrenches / Re: rd400 daytona - seatpan to cowl bolts
« Last post by clem73 on Today at 01:46:38 PM »
Jose, these are not bolts. They a studs on the pan. They do have a flat round head on top but they are not removable or at least they weren't meant to be. I can email you a pic, just pm me your address. Good luck with the rest too.
The 4-Stroke Blasphemy Forum / Re: Honda CB750
« Last post by jinglebuddy on Today at 01:00:46 PM »
Wow that tank and seat are incredible, amazing work

Thank you, that's awfully nice of you to say that!
« Last post by jinglebuddy on Today at 01:00:10 PM »
I know this is a year old how did this turn out?  I'm about to attempt the same thing but I'm not the fabricator you are my no means.  Think you can send a few more pics of how you did the sub-frame and mounted the swingarm?
Actually, the pics are current, I'm very slow, it's work in progress still.  I'm currently making a seat pan - the first time tackling fiberglass.  I'll post more pictures later on.
« Last post by phparray on Today at 12:28:10 PM »
I know this is a year old how did this turn out?  I'm about to attempt the same thing but I'm not the fabricator you are my no means.  Think you can send a few more pics of how you did the sub-frame and mounted the swingarm?
Show off / Re: my beast RD400C
« Last post by organicjedi on Today at 11:43:08 AM »
Very nice! Looks fast! I love all of the chappy red.

Your RD originally came with an inner and outer fender for the rear. The inner fender is black plastic and will bolt right on to the frame. It'll protect the engine and air box from road gunk and is virtually invisible. I see them on eBay, but someone on the forum might have one they are willing to part with. I've also seen fiberglass ones from Motocarerra.

« Last post by whyzee79 on Today at 11:42:59 AM »
If you are sucking trans oil, you will prob foul plug and put out a lot of blue smoke.  I would do a mini tune up with points, plug and  condenser and see where you go from there.  You can check the float level in carb if you want too.  You don't say whether its running with the choke on or off.  That could indicate clogged pilot jet.  Check the tank vent hose.  I had one of these bikes and it was bulletproof for the most part.  They are a lot of fun and will really come on the pipe if you rev the crap out of it.  If you really want a beast, swap the CR125 cylinder onto it.  That will be hard to find now a days but the porting is a lot bigger. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10