BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: your favorite motorcycle racers (or car racers for that matter)  (Read 7316 times)

Offline cookie

• Addict
Re: your favorite motorcycle racers (or car racers for that matter)
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »
All time hero Michelle Duff, most successful local guys Steve Baker  and Steve Crevier

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:10:31 PM by cookie »

Offline javelin grl

• IM SOLVING MYSTERIES
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 01:23:38 AM »
+1 on Michelle Duff, have you read her book? A great read, well worth finding.
15 883 R Sportster
83 DT 125 LC it works again!
69 AMC Javelin
07 VW Beetle

Online Seizer

• I am constructing an amazing post history
  • The more I know, the dumber I get
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2016, 11:01:39 AM »
Schwantz, Randy Mamola, Kenny Roberts, Eddie Lawson, Barry Sheene, Wes Cooley, Freddie Spencer, Valentino Rossi, Gary McCoy, Doug Polen, Miguel DuHamel, Jeff Ward, Rick Johnson, Ricky Carmichael, Ryan Villapoto, Chris Carr and Scott Parker.
1977 RD400 (almost done. If that's a thing?)
1984 RZ350
1995 KX60

Offline javelin grl

• IM SOLVING MYSTERIES
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 01:01:00 AM »
Better known for his wins on obsolete Harley Davidsons against more modern bikes Cal Rayborn was every inch the American daredevil bike racer, tall, dark good looking. Although remembered for racing Harleys Cal also raced 2 strokes with success he did well on 250 Yamahas, Kawasakis & Suzukis in the 60s & 70s. Cal was one of America's first Yamaha racers having raced a 250 twin in TT in the late 50s. He also set a world record at Bonneville in a streamliner powered by a stroker XLR HD. The engine wasn't a big bucks factory special but one that was built from speed parts anyone could buy at the dealers.
He was never as good on dirt tracks as road racing & so never held the number 1 plate. Sadly he was killed on his first race on a Suzuki 500 twin in New Zealand. If Rocky raced bikes it would be like this but with a happy ending
15 883 R Sportster
69 AMC Javelin
07 VW Beetle

Offline bitzz

• I'm a regular here
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
Have you guys ever met Michelle Duff?
One of the nicest people, and my brother's next door neighbour.

Offline javelin grl

• IM SOLVING MYSTERIES
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 05:23:00 AM »
Would love to meet her, can reccomend her book Make Haste Slowly.
15 883 R Sportster
69 AMC Javelin
07 VW Beetle

Offline oldjohnno

• Underwater Basket Weaver
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »
I don't know if a trials rider can be considered a racer, but one of my favourites is Dougie Lampkin. Not just incredibly skilled but a down-to-earth and genuinely nice bloke. In a similar vein I'd have to mention Guy Martin; very fast, very funny, very likeable.

John Surtees, a champion on both two and four wheels and a talented race machine developer as well. If you haven't seen this doco - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DntYryFFjI - take a look; it's brilliant.

Kenny Roberts almost goes without saying - not just as a rider but as a team owner/manager he showed he had an incredibly deep understanding of what makes riders tick and what it takes to win.

Jack Brabham - not just a champion driver but (along with Ron Tauranac) a champion designer and builder.

Don Garlits - drove the cars, built the cars and towed them all around the US as the countries first fulltime professional drag racer.

Not riders, but I think guys like Kel Carruthers and Erv Kanemoto deserve a mention too. These days race teams seem to have large engineering teams within them, but back then these individuals were the technical brains behind so many GP victories. And as a two-stroke geek I'd also have to mention Jan Thiel and Frits Overmar, who have really elevated the two-stroke state-of-the-art to where it is today at almost 500hp/litre NA.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:40:12 PM by oldjohnno »
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.