BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: Can't figure this out  (Read 1618 times)

Offline gwcrim

• I'm a regular here
Re: Can't figure this out
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »
JKV, I sort of agree at this point that it seems like a  jetting issue. My biggest head scratcher is how it will start and idle with the original CDI but not with a new one.

When it is running and the throttle is slowly opened, the engine coughs back through the carb and quits.  The mouth of the carb is damp with fuel. I'll probably jet it so that can be eliminated.

Offline desmodrew

• Addict
  • All are missed 😞
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2017, 09:32:53 AM »
  If you decide to replace the carb, dratv.com has a good selection and prices on 'clone' carbs and parts and very helpful. 

Online jkv357

• Zamfir: Master of the Pan Flute
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »
JKV, I sort of agree at this point that it seems like a  jetting issue. My biggest head scratcher is how it will start and idle with the original CDI but not with a new one.

When it is running and the throttle is slowly opened, the engine coughs back through the carb and quits.  The mouth of the carb is damp with fuel. I'll probably jet it so that can be eliminated.
That doesn't surprise me. Replacement electrical parts are tricky.

I've heard of other cycles not running with a new/replacement ignition switch.  Lights work and it cranks over - but it won't run.  Put the old one back in and it runs fine. Unfortunately the old one has a screwdriver jammed in it instead of a key.

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »

Then, shut off fuel tap or disconnect, then run with carb spray. Did I miss something was this running fine before or has it not worked since you got it? Keep in mind if you open throttle and there is no spark to burn it will die and piston will push raw fuel back out carb.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:26:40 PM by kdsmf »

Offline gwcrim

• I'm a regular here
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »
IT WAS A WIRE! 

Blue stator wire was unplugged.  White wire was connected to blue going into CDI.  There's an intermediate harness and whoever had it apart didn't put it back right.

She fired right up!

Online m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Questing for the Forbidden Donut
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »
BOOM!!!

good work finding it   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

""

Online jkv357

• Zamfir: Master of the Pan Flute
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 08:11:16 AM »
IT WAS A WIRE! 

Blue stator wire was unplugged.  White wire was connected to blue going into CDI.  There's an intermediate harness and whoever had it apart didn't put it back right.

She fired right up!
Is running properly through the entire rev range now?