BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: 1980 ke100 points and condenser  (Read 236 times)

Offline Coleke100

1980 ke100 points and condenser
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:18:30 AM »
I recently pickup up a 1980 ke100 and have been in the process of cleaning it up and getting it ready to run again. I took off the flywheel and was greeted with a pretty unnerving sight. It looks as though the stator (points and condenser included) have been under water for a while. The points when moved outward won't return closed. The condenser looks as though it has seen better days. I will try to replace them, but does anything else look destroyed?

Offline m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Questing for the Forbidden Donut
Re: 1980 ke100 points and condenser
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »
id take it all apart and clean everything. points and condenser should be available. ive def seen worse.
get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

""

Offline Coleke100

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »
id take it all apart and clean everything. points and condenser should be available. ive def seen worse.

Gotcha. I'm a little hesitant to break the motor down, it has great compression, it just needs the points and condenser.
I'm happy to hear you've seen worse haha.

Offline m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Questing for the Forbidden Donut
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »
i meant pull the stator plate.. keep in mind, if its been under water that seal is probably toast.
get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

""

Offline ben

• Woodsy the owl says "give a hoot, don't pollute"---------Lane Splitter and
  • Addict
  • unsafe at any speed
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »
Donít worry, Iíve seen worse. The points cam is on the flywheel. Make sure its not rusty. A rubber abrasive wheel works well to clean up. You need to remove the stator and the coils and clean all the contacts. While you are at it you can bring the ignition wire out of stator making timing easy. Itís the black with the braided insulation coming out of the ignition coil. It is not necessary for this wire to be soldered to the condenser and it is a shitty design.
Who posts matters much more than what is posted, or the manual.
My ideas may be a waste of time for most people.

Offline Coleke100

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
Donít worry, Iíve seen worse. The points cam is on the flywheel. Make sure its not rusty. A rubber abrasive wheel works well to clean up. You need to remove the stator and the coils and clean all the contacts. While you are at it you can bring the ignition wire out of stator making timing easy. Itís the black with the braided insulation coming out of the ignition coil. It is not necessary for this wire to be soldered to the condenser and it is a shitty design.

Oh, I did notice that before taking the flywheel off, the points didn't move as it spun. I'm worried that my flywheel doesn't have a points cam to actuate them. I don't see anything on the flywheel that looks like a points cam. Also, before I thought of checking the points, I hooked the black wire from the stator up to the coil and kicked it over a few times, I did get spark from the spark plug, maybe 3 times out of 20 kicks, so it kind of works.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:54:55 AM by Coleke100 »

Offline oldjohnno

• Underwater Basket Weaver
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
See that boss in the center of the flywheel? See how its wall thickness is a little bit greater on the right hand side of the pic than the other? That's the points cam; the little fibre rubbing block on the points arm rides against it to open and close the points. New condensor and points - properly adjusted - will have it running again.
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.

Offline Coleke100

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
See that boss in the center of the flywheel? See how its wall thickness is a little bit greater on the right hand side of the pic than the other? That's the points cam; the little fibre rubbing block on the points arm rides against it to open and close the points. New condensor and points - properly adjusted - will have it running again.

Oh, I see. Thank you! I was a little worried haha. This is my first dirt bike, so I'm learning a lot.

Offline Coleke100

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
Little update. I did get it running, but now I need to rebuild the carb.. kinda figured I'd have to. Thanks for the advice!