BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: best way to clean and restore inside of fuel tank  (Read 427 times)

Offline benztech

Re: best way to clean and restore inside of fuel tank
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
red-kote all the way. been using it for years with no issues. most radiator shops in south florida use red-kote.

Offline hardy

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 06:31:07 PM »
I prefer the red-cite method, mainly due to the fact if you need to remove it, you can.

Offline jetta90

• Zamfir: Master of the Pan Flute
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »
All the products mentioned will work well to clean out rust from fuel tanks.
On the ongoing RD250 project I used apple cider vinegar with great success.  You can get it at your friendly grocery store for pretty cheap.  Do your searches on youtube.
Heads up - once you remove the apple cider vinegar from the tank you'll need to quickly rinse the insides with water and baking soda.  This will neutralize the acid.  Then dry it out ... I think I used a hair dryer.  If you wait too long to rinse and dry you will get some flash rust on the tank inner surface.
I would suggest you remove the petcock and plug the hole - I used a piece of old rubber inner tube and cut out a piece of metal to use as a plate over the rubber.  Drilled a couple of holes in the plate, and used the petcock screws to seal the hole for the process.
Use APPLE  CIDER   VINEGAR not the regular chit.