BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: Gday, New owner and a YR2  (Read 764 times)

Online boredinballard

Re: Gday, New owner and a YR2
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 09:07:26 AM »
Well the float levels were way off and flooding the engine, it's back together now, but hard to start and the right side carb is problematic, it appears that the float may be sticking when first started.
But I'll take it for a good blast up the Hwy and hopefully clear out some of the oil! :)

By the way, may sound stupid, but if you are having weird trouble with the carbs that you can't figure out, make sure the carb slides are in the right direction. When I bought my R3, the previous owner had them in upside down and could not get the bike to run well at all, crazy rich with tons of oil and what not coming out. Couldn't idle but could keep it going by giving it lots of gas.

Turns out those slides were upside down.  :bang:

Offline otr002

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »
By the way, may sound stupid, but if you are having weird trouble with the carbs that you can't figure out, make sure the carb slides are in the right direction. When I bought my R3, the previous owner had them in upside down and could not get the bike to run well at all, crazy rich with tons of oil and what not coming out. Couldn't idle but could keep it going by giving it lots of gas.

Turns out those slides were upside down.  :bang:

Thanks for the tip, I've got it going super now and just need to get used too the whole two stroke thing now!

Offline otr002

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »
Ok guys and dolls, the bike is going great and I've just registered it :woop:. The first run was a little worrying as there was a fare amount of smoke coming from the exhaust but this cleared up and now only a little smoke is seen at idle (don't know how much at speed, yet).

The only issue that is of concern is the clutch, it's quite when engaged and on the move, but when disengage at idle (after a warm up ride) it's quite noisy with a rumbling noise, almost like a failing roller bearing. The clutch was adjusted when I first received the bike and then after a run (adjusted when cold) but it still drags a little and can be cantankerous when stoped not allowing me to engage neutral etc.
I don't have a schematic of the clutch/gearbox and failed to find one on the web, so it's a little hard to fault find at present.

Any help or suggestion are welcome.

Online Evans Ward

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 09:09:55 PM »
Make sure your trans level is correct. Mine has no problems finding neutral at a stop using 10-40 motor oil in the trans. That could be your clutch bearing going out too? They can be sourced NOS as I've seen them recently on eBay. Here's a clutch parts diagram.
1984 Yamaha RZ350 (yellow/ black), Spec IIs, rearsets, fk brace
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Triple (blue) stock original
1967 Yamaha YR1 350 (red) stock original
1976 Suzuki GT750 (blue) stock original

Offline otr002

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »
Ok so #17 or #27 are the two bearings. #17 looks to be the likely suspect??

It looks like #17 is a standard 16003 roller bearing, I should be able to get one local from a bearing supplier ;)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:29:06 AM by otr002 »

Offline otr002

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 11:54:50 PM »
Make sure your trans level is correct. Mine has no problems finding neutral at a stop using 10-40 motor oil in the trans. That could be your clutch bearing going out too? They can be sourced NOS as I've seen them recently on eBay. Here's a clutch parts diagram.

So you use 10-40 engine oil? I used SEA 10-30 transmission oil, Ill change it, as I've heaps of 10-40 engine oil.

Online Evans Ward

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 05:52:44 AM »
27 is the main bearing that can fail. It has a cup holder/ sleeve (not shown) and positions inside clutch hub. Pic and part number attached. It is NLA from Yamaha so eBay or vintage parts sources are your only source here.

Yes, regular motor oil for trans as that was how they did it back in the day. I was reluctant to try it but did so from a recommendation from a local senior motorcycle mechanic. Shifts incredibly smooth.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:54:00 AM by Evans Ward »

Online boredinballard

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »
Yes, regular motor oil for trans as that was how they did it back in the day. I was reluctant to try it but did so from a recommendation from a local senior motorcycle mechanic. Shifts incredibly smooth.

Have you tried the Motul cycle oil yet? I put that in my '73 Honda CL350 and it made shifting sooooo smooth, huge difference. I've not decided if I'll do the same in my R3.

Wanna know something terrible? When I got my R3, the clutch made all sorts of noises and squeals. I knew the owner before me wasn't the brightest and I bet my buddy that the guy put in two stroke oil (cause it's a two stroke!). Sure enough, I drained it and it was green/blue oil. WTF hahaha.

Offline otr002

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 01:13:05 AM »
Well the change in oil has cured the recalcitrant clutch, and the bike pulls sweetly in the low gears all the way to 8000ish make that 6000ish (need my eyes checked), so happy days!

Next question is, with regards to holding a higher speed, the bike pulls well in the lower gears and doesn't run out of puff, but, it won't pull over 60mph! If I drop it down to 4th it will pull a few more MPH but not much.
Knowing that the engine will rev out in the lower gears, would this lack go holding power be a compression issue (rings) or fouled exhausts?

I'll be taking it for a longer run tomorrow with some 50-60 MPH section, this may help?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:37:38 PM by otr002 »

Offline otr002

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2018, 01:08:38 AM »
Well, had a great ride today of about 125K's (75Miles) and the bike is going strong and the clutch is now a dream to use with no drag or slip :thumbsup: the bike still has a miss at the higher rpm and runs out of puff at 60/65 mph, I'll chase this and see where it leads.

On the bright side I had a ride with some friends (Mountain twists with lots of gear changes and rev's) one volunteered to ride behind me and give me a run down on the "smoke". Well, initially the bike smoked badly from both pipes but cleared up the further we went (I did give it a thrashing) after 50K's we stoped for coffee and let the bikes cool down. After that it was a 50-60mph stretch for another 60k's and the bike went hard and the smoke cleared to be a faint even haze from both pipes :woop:
So happy now with the progress.

One question I have a set of inline fuel filters fitted, has anyone found that the fuel flow is restricted by filters, causing poor hi speed running?? chasing chasing answers ;)

Offline otr002

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2018, 01:27:46 AM »
Quick Q, are these the correct boots for the YR2? They seem to be different to the ones fitted to other bikes?

Online Evans Ward

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »
The airbox to carb rubbers you have aren't OEM. Make sure they seal at both ends completely with no tears or holes. Also check to make sure they aren't collapsing during WOT. May be best to get a buddy to look on another bike from both sides in checking this. If you buy the OEM ones, do not take a chance with hardened 50 yr old NOS ones. Greg Clauss Studios repops a nice new one. Not cheap though...

On the inline fuel filters, my preference is not to run them but I know many differ with that opinion. One other thing I thought of for you to check is to ensure that the fuel tank is venting. This is done bu checking that large chrome nut in front of and on top of fuel tank. Take the nut off (unscrews) and see if you can blow through the small holes on top? You may want to take a small pick end and see if there is any obstruction.

That is great you rode that many miles on your YR! I haven't ventured out for a long ride on mine yet.

Offline otr002

« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 07:30:54 AM »
The airbox to carb rubbers you have aren't OEM. Make sure they seal at both ends completely with no tears or holes. Also check to make sure they aren't collapsing during WOT. May be best to get a buddy to look on another bike from both sides in checking this. If you buy the OEM ones, do not take a chance with hardened 50 yr old NOS ones. Greg Clauss Studios repops a nice new one. Not cheap though...

On the inline fuel filters, my preference is not to run them but I know many differ with that opinion. One other thing I thought of for you to check is to ensure that the fuel tank is venting. This is done bu checking that large chrome nut in front of and on top of fuel tank. Take the nut off (unscrews) and see if you can blow through the small holes on top? You may want to take a small pick end and see if there is any obstruction.

That is great you rode that many miles on your YR! I haven't ventured out for a long ride on mine yet.

Ok, I've removed the inline filters, cleaned the tank, petcock and the tank vent, readjusted the points and then took the beast for a 30Mile thrash with 15miles of 60/65Mph riding.

I must say it's getting better as I change and adjust things, I did see a 80Mph burst but the bike was not sounding the best so backed off to 60Mph, but getting there slowly ;) it still has a miss at high RPM and now doesn't like to rev out in first, more to look into. :thumbsup: Might need to have another look at the carbs and check that the jets etc are correct.

When I returned home I pulled the plugs and they are looking ok, I still might need to time the ignition, as of yet I haven't done that as I don't have an adaptor for the plug hole.
Hoping to modify a old plug tomorrow for a dial gauge and see how I go :)

I've also bought new carb boots from Greg Clauss Studios :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:41:24 AM by otr002 »

Offline otr002

« Reply #43 on: Yesterday at 07:39:28 AM »
What a beauty! They're really peppy, you will love it. Make sure your carb caps are on there tight, check your timing(1.8mm-2mm btdc) and let her rip!

Hey mate, just a quick question on the timing. I've a Clymer manual that recommends 2.1mm btdc, but you recommend 1.8-2.0mm btdc. Is the Clymer wrong as usual :lol:

Offline otr002

« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 10:16:07 PM »
Well after a quick blast to settle in what I did yesterday, I balanced the carbs and then went for another ride. I now pulls really well from 1st and is happy to sit at 70mph in top, the slight miss has gone and the exhausts have lost that burnt oil smell.

Really happy now :) Now on to the cosmetic things...