BOTM

* Sponsors

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Chatter / Re: Pistons
« Last post by yamman on Today at 03:46:50 AM »
95 percent of these bikes on the road are modified. 10K plus stock examples don't see the road. They get buffed and stared at. I'll take them pistons that rattle and I can flog the crap out of.

Maybe in the US?  Here, many do get used and who says you can't flog the crap out of a standard engine?  Think the standard RD400 was called "the best motorcycle of all time" by several magazines.  :thumbsup:    I guess we can agree that there is a place for standard and modified bikes? But, to me, what I have said about pistons and their suitability for different engines is correct.   :)

5port 
« Last post by jrotten99 on Today at 03:30:13 AM »
95 percent of these bikes on the road are modified. 10K plus stock examples don't see the road. They get buffed and stared at. I'll take them pistons that rattle and I can flog the crap out of.
Turning Wrenches / Re: 78 Dt400e won`t idle
« Last post by greens802 on Today at 03:13:27 AM »
 Yes guys I agree. Both manuals list the pilot jet for US and Europe at #80 and 70 respectively, the Oceania as 27.5 (see Clymer for example), and that was what was in it and it was old, in other words somebody has not just put it in. But I have just been on the phone to Mikunoz and they agree this must be an anomaly and I have a new pilot in 27.5 and 80 just to try, and new mains at 180 and 190, the needle is as per manual but the needle jet in it was 166 - P6! Which is supposed to be correct for the vm38. Ok so I looked at what they say I should have and it is a 159, which would be fine except I looked at the specs on it and it is different in 2 areas; 1mm longer and the venturi hemi part at top is a different profile, so I don`t think it will even fit. In fact it can`t fit as the 166 fits exactly. The top being irrelevant to fitting.
 A bit confusing but I`ll get there somehow. I may have to just buy the new carb for 130 bucks and install my own oil feed, which as I stated,  I didn`t want to do. Thanks for advice.
« Last post by yamman on Today at 02:13:32 AM »
when my guy, who is very good, bores my cyls with banshee pistons he sets the bore up for the correct skirt clearance per the aircooled specs, and ive never had an issue, really. i think we are splitting hairs here.

Not splitting hairs over here.  These days, in Europe, the popular 2R9 400 cylinders (44 hp standard) are worth around $1,000 for a good low-bore pair that have not been "ported".  This is because they are getting rare.  The standard (and I mean totally standard) bike value is very high.  "Top" 2R9 400's are selling for $10,000 and, an "average" stock bike is easy $5,000.   No-one wants a rattly  $10,000 "stock" bike, they want one that runs and sounds like the great condition it is in.  For years, old RD's were rebored with LC / YPVS pistons, often on 2+ thou LC clearances and they often rattled straight away.  Now, stock bike owners are getting more demanding.  :)
Now, this does not reflect badly on modified, track or race RD's but, many owners of stock road bikes are wanting to avoid spending $10,000 on an "old rattler" and are getting much more demanding on the quality of their engine work .   ;)

Yamman     
Show off / Re: '73 RD250 converted to 350.
« Last post by SpoonerS on Today at 02:03:42 AM »
Really nice! That seat and the classic Spec 2 pipes really complement each other! 
But I keep scratching my head over "custom readers"............
Rearsets, reed spacers, or ??????

Haha, yes, I meant REARSETS. I usually from my phone, so that was an autocorrect. Edited now.
Show off / 1984 RZ350 Dragon Run Rearview
« Last post by kawtriplefreak on Yesterday at 11:53:09 PM »
General Chatter / Re: ebay
« Last post by kdsmf on Yesterday at 08:35:12 PM »
Looks like it's been fixed.
Haus of Projects / Re: Chef Boy-RD400 Project
« Last post by The Red Scourge on Yesterday at 08:22:32 PM »
Support our sponsor Economy cycle Please...

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/yamaha-rd350400250r5ds7-crank-seal-o-ring/

JT

Thanks JT.  I've gotten all my parts and seals from John.  I don't plan on changing anytime soon.  I may as well put an EC decal on it once I'm done!
General Chatter / ebay
« Last post by kdsmf on Yesterday at 06:10:56 PM »
Anyone else having problems with pics on ebay, only getting one pic when there are several others are blank.
Show off / Re: Where I spend all my time and $$$
« Last post by Seizer on Yesterday at 05:45:12 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on link....think I fixed it

The link is fixed.
That's a nice bike. Hope you win.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10