BOTM

* Sponsors

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Turning Wrenches / Rd350 6th gear in rd400
« Last post by purplecoupe on Yesterday at 09:23:59 PM »
While doing my crank seals I noticed my 6th gear is burnt up. Teeth look worn and was making noise before I parked it to tear it apart. I've come across a place that sells 6th gear for the rd350. Just wondering if I can use these gears in my rd400 trans.
Events / Save The Date! April 28-29 2018, 2 STROKE EXTRAVAGANZA Weekend!
« Last post by yamahard on Yesterday at 09:05:28 PM »
RIDE-    Sat Apr.28,  2 Strokes only please!   A 70 mile " ride at your own risk"  loop on the famous Angeles Crest Highway to Newcombs Ranch for lunch.  These are some of the best and most spectacular motorcycle roads around!   Kick stands up 10a    as always with chase truck! 

SHOW-   Sun. Apr.29,  The 21st annual "2 STROKE EXTRAVAGANZA".  This year we on the grounds of the Wolf Creek Brewery in Valencia CA. 25108 Rye Canyon Loop.   More info to follow....         Latest details on facebook
Haus of Projects / Re: DS7.. Rough Barn Find
« Last post by 95naSTA on Yesterday at 07:28:14 PM »
Here's some pics from Chuck's update port, head cut/cc, and squish check.

At the bottom there's some pics from me sanding and polishing the raised lines on the DS7 covers. I used a mini belt sander with 240 grit then hand handed from 220 to 1500 before taking it to a buffing wheel.

5 hours of taping, sanding and polishing.

Show off / Re: DT250... new to the stable
« Last post by nojoke2stroke on Yesterday at 06:16:51 PM »
Got the DT250 a bit closer to the stock trim.  I had most of the parts, but did replace a few fasteners and grommets.  Still need to find rear turn indicators and a front fender.  Anyone have R. Turn Signals or a front fender?

Turning Wrenches / Re: Q: what COIL for pointless RD400G
« Last post by bitzz on Yesterday at 06:03:26 PM »
Basically there are "points" coils and "cdi" coils.

If you disconnect a plug on a "cdi" the spark goes to ground through a capacitor and blows the box. With points it will spark a lot, eventually burning the points... and probably the condensor.
Just ground the plug when you pull it out.

You can't run a RZ/RDLC ignition on a RD UNLESS you change the timing by moving the key way 90 degrees.
I think the "best" street ignition from Yamaha was the 1989 Cdn model, the blue one. The timing backs off around 9000rpm, to almost zero at 10,000rpm.

I found some RD400G exhaust pipes. Want them?
Haus of Projects / Re: Mad Max styled RD
« Last post by biggraham on Yesterday at 05:46:41 PM »
Got the seat mounting brackets/posts moved back, it's just sitting on there for the pics. Sadly, the Lucas tail light will need a more vertical mount, to avoid the droop :redface:
Still, the slightly shorter than stock seat looks pretty good, now to get it all mounted properly,w the bobber fender and inner rear to be fitted next.
Progress!
Turning Wrenches / Re: RD250 Condenser GND Connection
« Last post by Deliriumfilter on Yesterday at 05:10:44 PM »
I measure about 5.5 Ohms, which should be the 4 Ohm rotor field coil plus the resistance of the leads I think.

Battery is brand new but they didnít send me enough acid to fill every chamber, which was odd. It also charged up a lot faster than I expected, so maybe thatís the issue. It stayed above 12V between charging and after all my starting attempts, so I assumed itís good. I didnít actually measure it under load though.
Events / Re: Slimy Crud Run
« Last post by jspooner on Yesterday at 04:25:06 PM »
If it was closer Iíd go. Donít really want to travel for 3 hours for a 60 or so mile round trip ride. 
The 4-Stroke Blasphemy Forum / Re: Whats everyone have for 4 strokes?
« Last post by idr5c on Yesterday at 03:18:52 PM »
Picked this up a while back. 88' GSX1100F. Smoooooooth power.

Turning Wrenches / Re: Q: what COIL for pointless RD400G
« Last post by m in sc on Yesterday at 02:01:38 PM »
i just use it for setting idle speed. Its actually in the manual for doing suzuki triples this way.  ;)  yes, i leave a spark plug attached to the wire. it really helps with a crossover in my experience, and i usually set it with the spigots plugged on iniital setup.  as far as synching, i always check top of slide method.  works for me.     

edit:

that method is really good if you have a stock airbox and dont want to remove the boot.  always more than one way to skin a cat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10