BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: Derbi GPR  (Read 575 times)

Offline jkv357

• I'm a regular here
Re: Derbi GPR
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 08:24:14 AM »
Had the Derbi out this weekend and put about 80 mi on it.  Took it to a local cycle meet with over 500 cycles in attendance.  Plenty of interesting looks and a fair amount of attention.

Ran pretty well.  Temps were in the high 40F to low 50F range, and I richened the needle slightly the day before.  Lots of fun on the backroads and curves, but struggles with me on it (175#) from a stop.  Once it hits 7500 of so it takes off, but not much going on below that...

Offline Triple Jim

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
You bringing a couple Derbis to the 2-stroke meet at the end of the month, Jay?

Offline jkv357

• I'm a regular here
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
You bringing a couple Derbis to the 2-stroke meet at the end of the month, Jay?
It would be fun for sure, but can't get away for any amount of time right now.

Where is it happening?  I'm guessing somewhere south of WI.

Offline Triple Jim

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
It's the annual Deals Gap 2-stroke meet at Deals Gap, in western NC.  It's at the top end of the Dragon and the group takes over the whole motel, "Deals Gap Resort."  This year it's the last full week of May, and runs from Sunday to Sunday.

Offline toratora

• I'm a regular here
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »
Thanks.

It's based on a Ducati 916 tailsection, but is quite a bit narrower and has a longer front section.

At one point Derbi was owned by Cagiva, which also owned Ducati.  Cagiva had a 125cc 2-stroke (Mito) with bodywork that was almost exactly like a 916, but smaller overall.

The 916 came after the Cagiva Mito making the Ducati the copy. The 50cc version of the Mito was licensed to Derbi from Cagiva--the Derbi version had a different engine. The GPR received a "facelift" in around 2002 (model year). In 2005 (model year) the bike got a new frame, and then in 2010 (for the 50cc version) they went to a modified version of the 2000ish RS50 frame. The version of the GPR that was around prior to the Cagiva framed GPR was licensed from Aprilia which was their AF1 (50cc version), but with either a 50cc engine, or a 75cc engine. There was even a version of it with pedals to meet the moped regulation of the time.

Offline jkv357

• I'm a regular here
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »
The 916 came after the Cagiva Mito making the Ducati the copy. The 50cc version of the Mito was licensed to Derbi from Cagiva--the Derbi version had a different engine. The GPR received a "facelift" in around 2002 (model year). In 2005 (model year) the bike got a new frame, and then in 2010 (for the 50cc version) they went to a modified version of the 2000ish RS50 frame. The version of the GPR that was around prior to the Cagiva framed GPR was licensed from Aprilia which was their AF1 (50cc version), but with either a 50cc engine, or a 75cc engine. There was even a version of it with pedals to meet the moped regulation of the time.
Thanks for the clarification and history lesson. So Tamburini penned the Mito first and then adapted it to the 916?  Never heard that.

Quite a convoluted history that eventually ended in extinction for Derbi and the GPR, unfortunately.