BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: My "bike" is hard to justify, but I love it, Ural 750cc outfit  (Read 94 times)

Offline Mangizmo

My "bike" is hard to justify, but I love it, Ural 750cc outfit
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »
You get wet, cold AND stuck in traffic, its not fast, its not great on fuel, but its a hoot to ride :-) PLUS you can go shopping for wheelbarrows with it :-)
combo by Mangizmo Brean, on Flickr
cher7 by Mangizmo Brean, on Flickr
wheel2 by Mangizmo Brean, on Flickr

Offline desmodrew

• Addict
Re: My "bike" is hard to justify, but I love it, Ural 750cc outfit
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »
I'm waiting for the 'right priced' one to come along so I can get one too. 2WD of course.
Some of you guys are brutal. Now I know how Jesus Christ felt when they nailed him up.

Offline m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Questing for the Forbidden Donut
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »
they are very cool. they usually either self destruct immediately or do pretty well. i know of 3 that grenaded right off the showroom floor in my area, and some with 50k+ on them. still cool. were better when they were cheap way back int he day IMHO.  still, super neat.  wheelbarrow. lol. awesome.  :thumbsup:

get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

""

Offline Mangizmo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
they are very cool. they usually either self destruct immediately or do pretty well. i know of 3 that grenaded right off the showroom floor in my area, and some with 50k+ on them. still cool. were better when they were cheap way back int he day IMHO.  still, super neat.  wheelbarrow. lol. awesome.  :thumbsup:
   LOL, I bought mine from the UK importer used as the second owner , he is something of a Ural Guru, he sold it new in 2012 and as you correctly say, it grenaded at 15000 miles, but he rebuilt it "properly" and its as smooth and quiet as you could ever imagine, I have done 15000 further miles on it without a single issue, its actually better than when I bought it, I have never touched it mechanically, just changed the oil, as he said, they are always better after he has rebuilt them, 700w alternator (jap) German gearbox (with reverse) and Brembo front brake, I reckon it will last forever now (touch wood) but they aint cheap anymore, mine has carbs not EFI and I have never touched them, starts on the button every time
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:38:37 PM by Mangizmo »

Offline Mangizmo

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »
  Of course there is another possibility as to why mine is so good, I had always wanted one and I bought it with 12 months warranty, I followed the running in advice to the letter and didn't work it hard until I had covered 2000 miles, I did 10,000 miles gently in 9 months and I felt it get better and better, I changed the oil every 1000 miles for the first 6 months, maybe OTT but it seems to have paid off, it now feels indestructable.....time will tell :-)

Offline 50gary

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
That front brake setup looks pretty good.  CBR rotor? and Brembo caliper, nice.  I have a '67 BMW R50/2 with Earles front end no sidecar though, it's a joy to ride.
  Cheers, 50gary
I was born to laugh at Tornados> In Hoc Sigma Vinces

Offline Mangizmo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
That front brake setup looks pretty good.  CBR rotor? and Brembo caliper, nice.  I have a '67 BMW R50/2 with Earles front end no sidecar though, it's a joy to ride.
  Cheers, 50gary
   Yep brakes are very good considering the weight of the thing, the sidecar is braked too (drum) via a mechanical link, slamming the anchors on at 40mph and it stops in a dead straight line, quite impressive, you just have to occasionally tweek the sidecar brake adjustment to keep it in balance, only drawback with the front disk is that the spare wheel will only fit sidecar and rear, not front, but I would rather have the added braking and accept that a front tyre puncture means I'm screwed :-)