BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: RD400/yz Supermoto Build  (Read 18557 times)

Offline lochenjons

• Zamfir: Master of the Pan Flute
Re: RD400/yz Supermoto Build
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »
Got it blue tagged at the chp today! I was a little worried when I learned I had to take it the chp for a VIN inspection. I was hoping I could just hand the dmv the pink and be done with it. Anyway, it took over an hour but after checking that both the number on the rd motor and the vin on the yz frame were both clean, they gave me a new VIN. I was surprised it was not a big deal that the frame was mostly from a dirtbike and I was really worried Id have to reg it as a special construction.

Also I painted some stripes on it and put some decals I got on it. I got a checkerboard pattern for the tank but it ended up not working very good and Im thinking the tank might be too small for it anyway. Need to figure out something to put on the side of the tank for it to look right.

Anyway, here it is:

Offline Premiumjo

• No cake for me
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
Nice. I like it! (i'd have kept the cylinders green though.....) :P

Offline hw9rd350b

• Dr. 2-Stroke, M.D.
    • RD's Only
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
How doe she run, wheelie machine???
Looks very nice good job!!  :thumbsup:
Smithville Texas -By Austin
www.rdsonly.com
 RD350B
 RD400F -racebike restoration
 RZ350 - Purple flash
 RZ500 - Flame bike
 Honda ST90 -Mini Motard project

Offline lochenjons

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2012, 12:50:07 PM »
How doe she run, wheelie machine???
Looks very nice good job!!  :thumbsup:

Runs great! It tok a lot of time to get it running just right and as soon as I did it was the greatest feeling. Definate wheelie machine! Ill try to get some good vids of it soon. I gotta tweak the suspension some before I get comfortable or crazy with it, the forks are super stiff and the rear is really soft and probably blown out.

Offline m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Donut warrior
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »
tunigng fork logo on tank. white area on side panel w/race number. done. I cant believe how well this bike turned out! nice job.
get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

Offline hw9rd350b

• Dr. 2-Stroke, M.D.
    • RD's Only
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »
Those forks have rebound and dampening on top of forks right?
turn them way down to 0

Rear shock you can tighten the top nut on spring for more stiffness -

Do the fork tubes hit your handle bars?

Please post a vid of your wheelie machine in action..
Smithville Texas -By Austin
www.rdsonly.com
 RD350B
 RD400F -racebike restoration
 RZ350 - Purple flash
 RZ500 - Flame bike
 Honda ST90 -Mini Motard project

Offline pdxjim

• Motul 710
  • Addict
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
Poor man's TDR.

Good job!

Offline lochenjons

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
Those forks have rebound and dampening on top of forks right?
turn them way down to 0

Rear shock you can tighten the top nut on spring for more stiffness -

Do the fork tubes hit your handle bars?

Please post a vid of your wheelie machine in action..
Did that
Did that
Yes
Soon

Im gonna get the forks how I want them then mess with the rear, pretty sure its blown and might wanna get a stiffer spring anyway. Thatll give me an excuse to clean up the swingarm.

Thought about the tuning for fork logos on the tank but decided against it but now Im kinda thinking that would have been cool. too late now tho

Never heard of the TDR but looked it up and that sounds it was a pretty cool bike

Offline Kraven Morehead

• Cheese and microbrew
  • Addict
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »
I really dig how this project turned out!  Great work lochenjons.  Always great to see someones ideas they have brewing in their head come to reality.  :swoon:
1975 RD350
1975 RD250
2005 FJR1300                                                                                             

Offline lochenjons

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2012, 10:27:38 PM »
Got around to finally welding in the lower rear motor mount, gas tank mounts, and a spring for the kickstand. Then I rode it for the longest ride so far and now I can say the pipes definately scrape in turns. With a rider it sits just low enough to scrape. Mostly the right side and it looks like how the pipes are bent that the right side sticks out further than the left. Gotta figure something out, I can raise them slightly but not much, might have to fab some high pipes sooner than I planned. I would love to have them go under the tail and stuff the expansion chambers there. Ive heard that the expansion chamber should be as near to the beginning of the pipe as possible, is this true? and does it really make a big difference with performance?

Offline drtbkr

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »
I dont build pipes but do know all the lengths, angles of cones, diameter of pipe, taper.... All make a differance. Very critical on a 2t pipe. Lots of pipe knowledge on here maybe someone can help you more. Maybe you could modify those DGs (a lot) into hi-pipes?
Lawrence, Kansas

IT400 TY250 RD350

Put me with the smokers please, Thanks.

Offline lochenjons

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
I dont build pipes but do know all the lengths, angles of cones, diameter of pipe, taper.... All make a differance. Very critical on a 2t pipe. Lots of pipe knowledge on here maybe someone can help you more. Maybe you could modify those DGs (a lot) into hi-pipes?
That's what I've been thinking is to modify the dgs but not sure how much it well be affected by doing so

Offline drtbkr

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
I would think as long as you kept the basic deminsions the same and transitions smooth/flowing it would be ok.
Lawrence, Kansas

IT400 TY250 RD350

Put me with the smokers please, Thanks.

Offline lochenjons

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2012, 01:51:27 PM »
I would think as long as you kept the basic deminsions the same and transitions smooth/flowing it would be ok.

Well the chambers would be further back, other than that they would be the same. It would be great if I oculd do that instead of custom made from scratch. Dont have much room under the rear fender but I think it could work, would defiantely wrap the pipes so I wouldnt melt the plastic tho. Hopefully the wrap would keep it insulated enough since it would have to be pretty much butted up against the plastic fender

Offline yellowandfast

• Building custom Yamaha's since 2004
  • Addict
  • Pipe builder wanna be
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:21 PM »
You cannot move the chambers "back", it will make the tuned length so long that you will probably never get into the powerband. The tuned length is cqlculated from the exhaust side of the piston to the middle of the divergence cone, make it shorter and the powerband comes on sooner, make it longer and it will come on later-to long and it may never make more power. Change any of the angles of the pipes and you change the power delivery charracteristics of the pipes, or you could just make junk and have a bike that is un-tuneable.

The most expensive part of that bike may be the proper pipes, shit pipes equals shit performance.

I am currently working on a set of "up" pipes for another project using a known, very proven dimension for the Rd400 engine, they will not be done till mid winter however. If I had a paying customer, I could move this project up in my schedule.
The only 4-stroke bike I own is an 1985 V-Max

Manitowoc, WI