BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: My landspeed RD400 project. Lots of pics.  (Read 25133 times)

Offline Makr

• I make my own rules
  • Underwater Basket Weaver
Re: My landspeed RD400 project. Lots of pics.
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »
So thinking there was no way I could pull off a sectioned header pipe I had to stamp the piece ( I am a pretty good machinist, but a poor fabricator:)). I made a mold for what I needed. I made it longer then I needed with a smaller small end and larger large end thinking I could use whatever section of the curve for different size pipes. My father has decided to run the 175 class with an IT powered RD350. It needs pipes as well.

Now having never done a sheetmetal die this size I was in new territory. I wasn't sure if the metal would bunch or tear or if the old press had the balls to to form it.

It all worked much better than anticipated.

Now I need some cones and tubing to finish this off. My slip roller I think has too big of rollers. Also need to do the couplings.

My next cylinder will have a different exhaust outlet so all this work may only be for a couple of pipes and I will have to make a new one later but I learned a lot, and that is always good.

I also got crank parts back from the heat treater. That will be my Saturday project to finish them. should have the rods any day.

I also knocked out some rear sets for my fathers bike. I needed some for an XS650 I am doing and my boss needed a set for his Norton. I ended up making five sets. Need to do the mounts tomorrow night.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:37:53 PM by Makr »
RD 350

Online m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Donut warrior
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
you gotta be shittin me.  :thumbsup: wow. nice.
get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

Offline jinglebuddy

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
Wow!  That's a really cool thing you did with the press.  Awesome.

Online m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Donut warrior
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
btw.. if oyu need cones contact cone engineering.
get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

Offline sunnamp33

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Ah man. I can't see the pics!
73 RD350, MC pipes, running premix, banshee reed cages with crossover tube, reed spacers, TDR reeds, chinoy ignition, and Dave F mod.

Offline cookie

• Addict
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »
That formed header is pretty cool. What gauge steel did you use and how big is the press?  :thumbsup:

Offline SUPERTUNE1

• Addict
  • I am a 2 stroke tuner for 30yr! not a post counter
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:22 AM »
Now I'm really jealous!  :argh:
You do have fabrication skills!  :bowdown:  Well at least no fear to try anything...goes with the same as riding a world record land speed bike!!!  :rock:

Chuck
Team Scream Racing
Racegas + Lots of oil = HORSEPOWER
2 time Daytona AHRMA Formula-500 winner '06
'78 RD400E
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Offline Vintage Smoke

• Feed the 2 Stroke Addiction!!!
  • Addict
  • It's either smokin or broken...
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
Man....I consider myself a pretty good fabricator and a decent machinist for someone who was never formally trained. There are things I wish I could do and things I have tried. I have made some stuff I am really proud of and some really off the wall stuff. Everything from my Dyna ignition to building 100mph chrome moly framed golf carts with 2 feet of suspension travel. All fun stuff requiring some creativity and a good amount of skill/attention to detail.

Having said that your work simply blows away anything I have done. Truly creative and professional work.  In your opening post on this thread you say: "I am not trying to brag, or show off, so I hope this doesn't come off that way." Bullshit!!! When you do work of this quality you have every right to brag and show off!! Really strong work!!! Congratulations.

Now....I hate people like you!!!  :laugh: I am so jealous!!! LOL
Nick Pastore
Vintage Smoke
973-702-8500
www.VintageSmoke.com
77 RD400
73 & 75 RD350
75 RD200
2010 Ninja 350R (Banshee powered Ninja!!)

Offline Chris V

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
Glad I'll be able to meet you Makr and your dad at Bub this year. I'll cover are R5 so you won't laugh at are backyard shadetreee old wooden garage build. seriusly your doing a great job keep the story comming :drama:  Chris
72 R5 Bonneville project

Offline Makr

• I make my own rules
  • Underwater Basket Weaver
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2013, 06:19:36 AM »
Wow!  That's a really cool thing you did with the press.  Awesome.

Thanks.

btw.. if oyu need cones contact cone engineering.

Thanks. They don't have what I need. Well, one cone is the right angle. I don't want to have to learn how to roll cones.

That formed header is pretty cool. What gauge steel did you use and how big is the press?  :thumbsup:

I used 18 gauge stainless. I left .055 between the male and female parts of the mold. Seemed to be about right. No idea on the press. The gauge said it was 5000 psi at full tilt. What that means is anyones guess. It is one of the relics in the shop that only I seem to find a use for.

Now I'm really jealous!  :argh:
You do have fabrication skills!  :bowdown:  Well at least no fear to try anything...goes with the same as riding a world record land speed bike!!!  :rock:

Chuck
Team Scream Racing

Thanks Chuck.

Man....I consider myself a pretty good fabricator and a decent machinist for someone who was never formally trained. There are things I wish I could do and things I have tried. I have made some stuff I am really proud of and some really off the wall stuff. Everything from my Dyna ignition to building 100mph chrome moly framed golf carts with 2 feet of suspension travel. All fun stuff requiring some creativity and a good amount of skill/attention to detail.

Having said that your work simply blows away anything I have done. Truly creative and professional work.  In your opening post on this thread you say: "I am not trying to brag, or show off, so I hope this doesn't come off that way." Bullshit!!! When you do work of this quality you have every right to brag and show off!! Really strong work!!! Congratulations.

Now....I hate people like you!!!  :laugh: I am so jealous!!! LOL

haha Thanks man. I have seen your work it is very nice. I need to keep my ego in check or I will never fit my head out the forum exit door.  :mrgreen:

I feel very fortunate to have grown up with an extremely talented father. That guy can do anything! It was his love of the mechanical that has always inspired me to do the same.

Glad I'll be able to meet you Makr and your dad at Bub this year. I'll cover are R5 so you won't laugh at are backyard shadetreee old wooden garage build. seriusly your doing a great job keep the story comming :drama:  Chris

Me too, Chris! I am getting excited. I don't laugh at anyone who has the gumption to go "do". Anyone who puts their hard work on the line gets my utmost respect. Those are not just words, I mean that. Isn't your wife going to ride this R5?

Plus I love R5s.

Yeah, I'm single. haha

I started on these rear sets for my dads bike, but they came out so nice I think a set is going on my RD350 as well as the XS. Anyone need some old MotoCarrera rear sets?

RD 350

Offline Yamafreak

• I'm a regular here
  • All I Smoke Now Are Kid's On Croch Rockets
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »
Hi Makr
Your work is unreal!  :bowdown: :patriot: How much for the rear set's? Thanks Bill
1966 YDS3 Custom
1978 IT 250
1979 RD400f custom
1979 RD400f red frame bad crank
1978 KE250
2008 Buell XB12XT

Offline Chris V

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
Yes Makr:  My Wife Sandy, the intended rider celibrating 75 years young, has been itching to do this the last 10 years and time is against us.   Chris
72 R5 Bonneville project

Offline MckayMotoWorks

• Addict
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
Not 1, but two 71' R5's, very nice. You work is impeccable, excellent skill set you have.
Bike is sold, out of the game. Carry on

Offline 1GChicagoR5

• Gram
  • 2-Stroke Tuner
  • Does the deed with twice the speed
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »
Awesome stuff. Fab work is amazing!

All those 71s....  :swoon:
1998 Honda CH80 Elite.
1971 Yamaha R5-B

Offline EvanWilliams

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:41 PM »
Hey, I like your work a lot.
I strongly dislike 'isn't supposed to go wot for 4 miles' that people say.

I don't know if I like your airbox & ram air setup and I don't quite remember what your head setup is.

Where is your carburetors vented to? what is your airbox vented to? anything special on your fuel tank?

I would look into gp ram air and what they do. They might even use a fuel pump.