BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: Suzuki TS 50 Gaucho  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Motoduc84

• www.backtrackvideo.com
Suzuki TS 50 Gaucho
« on: July 13, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
Greetings:

I am new to the board...and, new to me is this little 1973 Suzuki TS 50.  The phrase "barn find" is greatly overused, but, in fact, this one was in a barn, had not been ridden in about ten years and had 981 miles on the odometer.  Well-preserved by oily dirt, it washed off very clean and shiny.

What I did:
* white vinegar and bb's and a violent shaking for the fuel tank. A LOT of dirt and rust came out.
* new petcock and fuel lines
* cleaning of the carb.  And again...and again.
* new air filter

Well, it has started and ran...and then it dies.  And it seems to run better with the starter plunger in the "S" position and runs very ragged in the "R" position.  The "S" position lowers the plunger...the "R" position pulls it up, past the little hole in the throat of the carb.

And, a weird one here...it shows spark with the key turned to both the #2 and #3 positions...yet it will only start in the #2 position.  I do not have a battery in it at this time, if that is an issue.

So, kind of a puzzling little fellow right now.  I have put about 20 miles on it and it seems to scoot around nicely...but then it dies and does not want to start.

I did find a Glenn's Manual on Amazon last night and have ordered it.  But...I would love to hear from other fellow TS 50 Gaucho owners.

Kent

Offline m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Questing for the Forbidden Donut
Re: Suzuki TS 50 Gaucho
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:07:03 PM »
that's sweet, id rock that thing all day long.

regarding the spark, sounds like either something is grounding the coil partially on the last position or its designed to be that way. I had a bike that would *show* a small spark when 'off' but when I got it sorted you could really tell the difference between run and not by the brightness of the spark.

you cleaned the carb, but did you pull th ejet tube out (if it has one). sounds like a reclean may be in order. needle/main problem I think

get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

""

Offline Motoduc84

• www.backtrackvideo.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Well, just to be sure, I drained the tank and again, checked the petcock...and the filter was full of blackish crud.  We used to get creosote in our fuel on the farm and I think that is what is going on here.

So...rinsed with solvent.  shook with bb's.  Dawn dishwashing liquid.  Now, full of white vinegar again.  Will wait for a couple of days.

Offline m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • TASTE THE POSTING RAINBOW
  • Questing for the Forbidden Donut
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »
wow. that's crazy. creosote in the fuel??? id run a pleated paper fuel filter in there if possible.
get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

""

Offline pushin9s

• Underwater Basket Weaver
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
Awesome looking little bike.  I'll bet that things a blast to ride.   :thumbsup:

Offline Motoduc84

• www.backtrackvideo.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »
Well, I don't really know yet!  Still chasing down carb cleaning issues!  And the tank, while beautiful on the outside, is not so pretty on the inside.  May have to seal it...which I am not at all excited about doing.

Offline Eric P

• No cake for me
  • Stubbornly take the most difficult route possible.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:22 AM »
Unless the tank is rusted through, don't seal it. Go to the grocery store and buy a can of barkeeper's friend cleaner. Spray some degreaser in your tank to get the oil/gas out and dispose of it properly. Fill the tank with water and dump in a bunch of Barkeeper's Friend cleaner. Let it sit a few days shaking occasionally. Dump it out, rinse, flush with rubbing alcohol to remove the water and prevent flash rust.

Once you do that, throw some premix in it and you're good to go.

I wouldn't coat a tank over rust anyway, it would just peel off eventually and leave you with a mess. If you decide it needs to be sealed due to pin holes or something, clean it out before sealing.

Some people use white vinegar, but I found that it flash rusts a lot easier and attacks the base metal a bit. The active ingredient in BKF is Oxalic acid and it won't hurt the base metal.

Good luck, that's a sweet little bike! I looked at one a few years ago but it was too far gone even for me.
-Eric

Too many bikes.

Offline Motoduc84

• www.backtrackvideo.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 01:09:56 PM »
Thanks.  I did try white vinegar and a bunch of BB's.  Shook violently for about fifteen minutes.  A LOT of rust, dirt, etc came out.  But I think I did get some flash rust.

A fellow old bike enthusiast recommended Caswell and has had good fortune with it.  I ordered some and will wait before I open the shipping.  I will try BarKeeper's friend, which I am familiar with.

Rust in the tank is like baldness...lots of cures!

Kent

Offline Motoduc84

• www.backtrackvideo.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 02:54:41 PM »
Okay!  I elected to NOT seal the tank.  Did the white vinegar again, this time leaving it in there for about a week!  Flushed it, rinsed with water/baking soda...and I am impressed!  Looks almost new in there!  Filled with gasoline...and a little pre-mix and it looks great.

The little guy runs very well, though I still think I want to put in a smaller pilot jet and maybe main jet.  The plug is a little dark and it just seems to be bogging a bit.  Certainly it isn't my 185 pounds that is dragging this 50cc motor!   :rock:

Now...next issue: I put in a new battery.  The horn works, the turn signals come on (but do not flash) and neither the headlight, tail light or brake light functions.  All wiring looks to be good.  This is where I am really in the dark, so to speak.  ANything simple to check first?  Thanks.

Kent

Offline Quicklimegirl

• I am constructing an amazing post history
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:25:45 AM »
Killer little bike, I absolutely LOVE </= 100cc street legal smokers! You really scored on a nicely preserved model, it's beautiful.   I had a matched set of partially frozen/rusty but totally restorable '73s, but they got stolen 3 years ago when I was finishing sheetrocking my new shop & left 'em outside for a night. What's crazy is prior to building it, they sat outside for 5+ years, but under the overhang of my house which kept them dry.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:26:57 AM by Quicklimegirl »
'03 Z1000 Kawi
'85 RZ350; '84 RZ350
'76 RD400C
'75 RD350B; '74 RD350A "Me262"
'75 RD125B
'75 RD60B
'72 G5 100 Kawi
'66 X6 250 Suzuki

Offline Motoduc84

• www.backtrackvideo.com
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:47:03 AM »
Thanks...sorry to hear about your little 50's being swiped.

I see you have an RD 60...I had that same bike years ago.  What fun!  I could tuck my elbows and knees in, put my chin on the tank and hit 55 mph!  Of course, I was a 140 lb. college student at the time!

Offline JA-Moo

• Dr. 2-Stroke, M.D.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 08:51:40 AM »
I would guess it's a 6 volt system, either or really, but see if the flashers work with a charger connected. My guess on the other lights, they may be burned out, those little bikes tended to not have great electrical systems.
Just because you almost won once at Operation, doesn't qualify you to do actual surgery..........

Offline teazer

• 2-Stroke Tuner
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »
Often times a bike that has sat for a while will have a lot of corrosion in the switches or just the old grease has gone hard.  A simple solution that works most of the time is to spray WD40 through the switches and switch them on and off repeatedly.

After that check the bulbs as suggested earlier.  Look at the sockets too and see if they are corroded.  All simple stuff to try first.

Offline Quicklimegirl

• I am constructing an amazing post history
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Thanks...sorry to hear about your little 50's being swiped.

I see you have an RD 60...I had that same bike years ago.  What fun!  I could tuck my elbows and knees in, put my chin on the tank and hit 55 mph!  Of course, I was a 140 lb. college student at the time!

Well I'm really too big for it now, but I remember MarkinSC saying an a/c YZ80 motor circa about '76 to '78 will bolt right in. If I found one and figured out a way to also gusset the frame and improve the suspension that'd be the way to ride it once again. I've kept it stock up to now, I taught my Nephew how to ride using it. Think I'll restore it to like-new condition for my Grand Nephew when he gets old enough.
'03 Z1000 Kawi
'85 RZ350; '84 RZ350
'76 RD400C
'75 RD350B; '74 RD350A "Me262"
'75 RD125B
'75 RD60B
'72 G5 100 Kawi
'66 X6 250 Suzuki