BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: Cafe Updates  (Read 1109 times)

Online jspooner

• Dr. 2-Stroke, M.D.
  • Just quit brain fucking it and get it done.
Re: Cafe Updates
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
The point would be you can to avoid pushing tubes up on RD. As for why they reached down so far I guess Yamaha thought it would stiffen the forks a little more, I doubt it does though.

I get that.........another thing to watch for is the width. TZ triples are wider than RD triples, they have the same spacing as XS so a TZ upper yoke will not just drop on your RD, you will need to swap out the lower as well. There might be someone out there that makes one but I am unaware that there is.
80% of your work is done by 20% or your employees and 90% of your problems are caused by 10% of your employees

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 03:13:29 PM »
Sent a PM to guy in Germany, he will ask his friend if he has any of the TZ upper triples for 34mm RD's left or will make more.

Offline dalvipravin81

• I too smell like a lawnmower
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »
Just keeping this post updated
I bought new set of rings for rd350 original ones old stock
Also I went through the spares I have and I found 3 sets of springs from left which I got along with the fork bottoms I bought in USA
The third set as you can see is a different profile and longer in length

Shall I try that set ? Or just use the one on right which I bought as NOS in India ? How to test if any of the old sets are good ? Asking this question as the OEM in India was different in 1984

Pravin

Offline dalvipravin81

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 09:45:24 AM »
Also there is a bit of change at the end windings ... Usa ones on right are tight n close and the Indian springs I bought have normal flow of windings but they both do have similar windings profile at the other end

Just curious

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »
That would be progressive wound spring.

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 10:12:05 AM »
Not necessarily this brand (Progressive) but explains.  http://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1465/fork-spring-kit

Offline dalvipravin81

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
Are you talking about the longer springs in the earlier pic of 4 sets ? Or the second post pic with a set of spring and single Indian spring besides ?

Pravin

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
the ones that have coils closer together at the bottom. Hard to tell in pics but going by your description, the ones you got from US.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:13:45 AM by kdsmf »

Offline dalvipravin81

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 11:14:26 AM »
Ok so should i give them preference over the new ones i bought ?

Or how can I confirm ? I heared the progressive ones are better ??

Pravin

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »
I would try the progressive first, remember tighter coils on bottom, then test ride to see if OK for you. If you have a lot of potholes, expansion joints, railroad crossings where you ride would be better off with progressive if they are right for your weight.

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »

Online jspooner

• Dr. 2-Stroke, M.D.
  • Just quit brain fucking it and get it done.
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »
Sent a PM to guy in Germany, he will ask his friend if he has any of the TZ upper triples for 34mm RD's left or will make more.

The TZ upper triple (if you can even find one to fit an RD) will have the same amount of drop as a stock RD triple. If you want to run your clip-ons above the triple I would suggest running a stock RD triple and get some longer fork tubes like TX500 or even some of the older XS650 were 34mm as well and they should work. That should give you just enough to clamp your clip-ons to. You can even go one step farther and fill the stock damper holes on the RD triple like Jimbo did and it will look like a TZ triple.
80% of your work is done by 20% or your employees and 90% of your problems are caused by 10% of your employees

Offline dalvipravin81

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 12:19:51 PM »
OK so I guess I do have 2 pairs of progressive to try now :) yes the highways patches are uneven and joints to hurt a lot so will give a go to progressive first 

Yes Jspooner I will be thinking in that direction soon ... and I feel getting the XS fork tubes will be a appropriate option :)

Currently bike runs and pulls well but no damping on shocks,,, specially front so will get that fixed this Saturday and then rest of the things as listed...
hunt for longer Fork tubes  will be ON and tillthen am good for this setup of clipons above T plate.... !!

Thanks alot to all of you experts for helping me !!!I will be asking more questions ;)

CHeers ,
Pravin

Offline kdsmf

• Addict
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Anyone interested in TZ replica upper he has more 185 euros, his name is Uwe goes by Germany on aircooled forum.  http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=37954.msg423988#msg423988  info   http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=26080.0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:43:19 PM by kdsmf »