BOTM

* Sponsors

Author Topic: Dyna S vs. Newtronic ignition for aircooled RD350  (Read 6627 times)

Offline WYRDMAN

Dyna S vs. Newtronic ignition for aircooled RD350
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »
Another Newbie here...I'm going to put some type of electronic ignition on my recently purchased 73 RD350. I've been reading old posts and I like the modified Dyna S system but I have some questions......Are Dyna S users running the stock coils?     Is the Dyna S system better than the Newtronics system and if yes, why?    Does the Dyna S system put out a hotter spark than the Newtronics System?    Thanks in advance

Offline frank B

• Addict
Re: Dyna S vs. Newtronic ignition for aircooled RD350
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »
I thought the Dyna S was just replacing the points, the switch or trigger of the ignition. The coils are what gives you a hotter spark.

read this
http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=1306.0
76 RD125

Offline WYRDMAN

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:15:24 PM »
Thanks Frank,
I'm wondering if the pickups of the Dyna S are primary coils. If they are primary coils do they send more current into the stock secondary coils than the stock points system to produce a hotter spark? If I'm on the right track here this would be an advantage over the Newtronics system where optical triggers are replacing points. I'm trying to decide if taking the time to fabricate the parts to make the Dyna S system will result in a better ignition than buying a ready-made Newtronics system.

Offline poppaweely

• Administrator
  • Dr. 2-Stroke, M.D.
  • Live as much as you can, today.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:33:11 PM »
buying a ready made MZB ignition beats all if you have some dough. you'll be up and running much quicker than fabbing/testing/hoping on something you made. don't get me wrong, making shit is fun, but a direct fit, warrantied digital iggy is king. is $500 too much to not have to reset, adjust, replace any iggy part ever again, and have hotter spark and 150W charging? i sound like a salesman, but i'm not.

how can we get you into this iggy today? ...
2- RD400D
GT380K
B105

Offline twinlinemoto

• Addict
    • www.twinlinemotorcycles.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »
Ive had a lot of trouble setting up an MZB correctly, and Im a vintage motorcycle mechanic. The fact that the rotor is highly magnetic and free to move around wherever it pleases while youre torquing it in place is really frustrating. Especially when you set it all up, then go to take a test ride and go backwards! I did get it dialed, and it does run very nice, but Id never put one in my own bike. Im going to use a dyna. Yes it only replaces the points, no it doesnt give you supercharged CDI-like spark pulses, but you can dial each cylinder in perfectly, run whatever coils you want and thats it. No extra pieces to mount anywhere. Not to mention you can buy 3 dyna setups for less than the cost of an MZB.
1974 Honda CB125S cafe
1975 Yamaha RD350B TZ replica
1968 Honda CB160 racer
1970 Honda Trail 70
1970 Yamaha DT1
1984 Suzuki RM500

Offline frank B

• Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
I have the Motocarrera high output coils on my R5/D, and the spark is incredible! I think they are the same coils sold by JC Whitney and HVC.
76 RD125

Offline twinlinemoto

• Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
I have the hvc coils, and im not too impressed. We will see when I get my dyna setup!
1974 Honda CB125S cafe
1968 Honda CB160 racer
1970 Honda Trail 70
1970 Yamaha DT1
1984 Suzuki RM500

Offline poppaweely

• Administrator
  • Dr. 2-Stroke, M.D.
  • Live as much as you can, today.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »
you can buy 3 dyna setups for less than the cost of an MZB.

i appreciate that you like the Dyna but i think you are exaggerating. a new digital iggy comes with new rotor, stator, reg/rect, coils.

i'm NOT a mechanic and found the install fairly easy.
2- RD400D
GT380K
B105

Offline frank B

• Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »
I have the hvc coils, and im not too impressed. We will see when I get my dyna setup!

I still have points. Just recently I brought the bike out of "storage" and with the plugs out I kick the engine to check for spark, and I was amazed at how bright it was. I've tinkered with junk like mowers and cars as long as I can remember and not seen a spark that bright outside a high output perfomance ignition.
76 RD125

Offline bmarshall1

• '79 Daytona (getting faster), '97 VFR750
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »
Which ignitions have have variable timing? I assume the Dyna and Newtronic are static. I have heard of MZB and Chinoy, any experience with these and how large of a performance advantage between static and variable timing?
2- strokes: both good!
RD400 Daytona, FPPipes, Y-Boot, X-tube, Boysen reeds.

Offline twinlinemoto

• Addict
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 09:45:12 AM »
poppawheely: youre right, I did forget that the MZB comes with everything short of a wiring harness and switches, and Im sure thats where some of the cost comes from.

As far as timing goes, I think only MZB and chinoy have variable rates... maybe newtronics? Ive installed both ignitions on bikes before and I think the biggest advantage with either is the ammount of spark you can get. The chinoy can arc across a 1" gap!!
1974 Honda CB125S cafe
1968 Honda CB160 racer
1970 Honda Trail 70
1970 Yamaha DT1
1984 Suzuki RM500

Offline Surewin

• 2-Stroke Tuner
  • write(*,*)'Hello World'
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
The MZB system alone is a static timing system, however you can add a Zeeltronic controller to have a dynamic timing curve based on engine speed only.

The peak spark energy capable of an ignition system means little in overall engine performance.  If the spark energy is enough to ignite the mixture, more energy (or more correctly more voltage) will not provide more engine power.  If the ignition system is weak to begin with, and intermittent or abnormal  combustion is the result, the upgrading the ignition system will increase power.

The timing curve of the Chinoy kit, if still available, can not be edited by the user.  The Zeel' + MZB can be adjusted by the user. 

IMHO, one advantage of the MZB+Zeel combo vs. the Dyna or Newtronics is the new charging system.  The stock headlamp is pathetic. Other forum members noted that higher wattage headlamps taxed the stock charging system. 

As to the advantages of dynamic timing, Yamaha engineers published a SAE technical paper about a load and speed based timing of the RD350 engine.  Read it if you can, it's good!

Offline WYRDMAN

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »
Hey Surewin, I'd like to read the paper you mentioned. Is it available online? Do you have a link or address? Thanks for all the replys everyone, I'm still leaning towards the dyna and maybe some high output coils to solve plug fouling problems. Do the HVC coils fit and bolt up to the stock mounts or are they in addition the stock coils?

Offline m in sc

• Global Moderator
  • 2-Stroke GOD
  • Donut warrior
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »
the mzb, IMHO, is a pain the first tiem oyu do it, after that, its a snap. well wortht he work.

between the dna and the newtronics, go witha dyna.

the benefit of the zeel though, IMHO, over any battery igntion, is better spark at high revs.

it wont degenrate the spark energy at high sustained revs like a dyna, points, or a newtronics. points being the worst, newtronics being second worst, and dyna being the better of the 3.

regarding the headlight...

you can run a55 watt halogen ona stock charging system no probelm if the system is working correctly.
I run an allison car ignition, electric water pump, and a 55 watt halogen on my blue rd with a stock charging system no sweat.

get off my lawn.

Rock Hill, SC

Offline Surewin

• 2-Stroke Tuner
  • write(*,*)'Hello World'
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 12:40:35 AM »
It is SAE technical paper 750908, .  It is not available for free online, unless you are a SAE 'premium' member.  See the hyperlink to SAE site. It was also published in the book titled "Two-Stroke Cycle Spark-Ignition Engines."  The ISBN for the book is 0-89883-114-8.  If you cannot get the book from your local library interloan service and don't want to spend the $15,  I will post parts of it or I can summarize the paper if you would like.